Friday, February 4, 2011

My Brother's Learning to Curl #3

"I feel like I'm getting better" my brother says.  That's good to hear.  They had 45 minutes of practice throwing during which my brother continually hogged his rocks.  As a result, during the following two end game, my brother was designated to play lead.  Of course, he overthrew his shots during the game and a center guard became a rock on the button.  Still, that's much better than hogging rocks.

My brother also learned one sign for T line weight.  His skip had actually curled before in Europe (What's he doing in a five week "Learn to Curl" class?) and had his arm across his chest when he called the shot.  The instructor had to explain to my brother what that meant.  Though it's not like one could expect my brother (or I presume any of the other students in the class) to really have that feel for T line weight.  That stuff is so approximate anyways.  On a somewhat related note, I remember my first year, one of my teammates (also a first year) just always seemed to throw as hard as she could.  This was good for takeouts (when she hit the broom), but I remember when I called a shot that wasn't a takeout, I would always be practically begging her to throw it lighter.  I guess I just want to say that if you're playing with someone who's new, I would say that it's easier to call weight relative to their last shot rather than expecting them to really know what T line is (or whatever weight you call).  And be happy that they reasonably hit the broom and that their rock is still in play.

Anyway, then my brother started talking about how they finished the game and then removing the hacks and putting the rocks back in the freezer.  Again, this is something that I can't even imagine doing.  Another quote from my brother: "You should see how ghetto it is."  Not to say that where he curls isn't nice, but I guess I'm really spoiled here.

No comments:

Post a Comment