Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Game 12 Recap

This was a bad game for us.  First, Second couldn't be there (new babies need a lot of care) and there was a mixup with finding a sub (my fault) so it was just the three of us.  And I just couldn't get a handle on reading the ice at all during the game.  Also, I had a somewhat stubborn refusal to take out guards thinking that I could use them later.  But by the time my shots came around, I had to make a difficult raise and/or throw a rock through a port and I feel like I pretty much didn't make any of my shots for the game.  (Note to opposing skips: I'm likely to miss shots where the broom is placed on the 12 foot and beyond.  I seem to always go wide.)  But the final score was 6-1 after six ends and that brings our record to 7-4.  Afterward, I was thinking that if we played more of a takeout game, the score could've been closer, but I don't know if it would've been enough because they were making nearly everything.

Here is an example of how the match went.  This is my second shot from the first end and my team doesn't have hammer.  Because of all the guards, I have to make a tough runback and get my rock to stay in the house.  (There wasn't any other shot, right?)  While I did make the takeout to save one, my rock wasn't shot rock.  There were two other ends that ended in a similar fashion. 



Here is an example of how poorly I called the game.  This is the third end where my team is down two and it's the last shot for Vice; my team has hammer.  I wasn't sure which rock was closer, but I thought it was likely to be theirs.  So I decided to call a takeout on their rock (the dashed line).  I realized at the time that it was kind of a gamble, but I didn't realize that a. the rock would curl way more than I thought and b. there would be a perfect double raise to take out my own stone.  I thought the worst case was a takeout on that guard.  The opposing team would end up scoring two for that end.  I know I could've called draw weight instead, but that just wasn't happening for us during that game and during that end.



Anyway, after the game, Lead and I bought some raffle tickets to help out the Junior Women's Curling team, who are going to play in Fairbanks, Alaska for the upcoming Junior Nationals.  The prizes are a new broom (I could use one of those) and a curling stone.  I have no idea what I'd do with a curling stone, but apparently, rocks can be sold to others for a few hundred dollars so I might do that.  I'll let you know if I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment