Monday, January 17, 2011

Game 11 Recap

After a week off (no subbing), we were back on the ice.  Vice actually hadn't played since Game 7 back in early December.  I needed subs for Lead (vacation) and Second (congrats on the baby boy!), but our subs played well.  My team won the game 13-7 after 8 ends, though we could've called it after 7 ends (my team was up by six), but the opposing skip wanted to throw the rocks back down.  This brings our record to 7-3, which I think is pretty good, especially since games 3 and 7 were so close.

Interesting thing about the opposing team was that they were on a little bit of a losing streak.  They decided to switch things up by moving their lead all the way to skip and then everyone took a step down.  I would've expected her to not be so good at takeouts, but she had some hit and rolls and a nice runback.  A few years ago, my own team had some trouble and I'm not sure why, but for one game Vice and I decided that we'd play first and second and Second and FormerLead (who would leave Minnesota the following summer) played third and fourth.  Without going into detail, it was just a disaster and we lost by a lot.  But I think we all learned something though.  So if you're having some trouble with your team, I guess I would say don't be afraid to shake up your order, even if just for one game.

In the scenario below, it's SecondSub's first shot.  My team doesn't have hammer, we're yellow rocks, and we're up by three (in the sixth end I believe). 



I was conflicted as to what to call here.  I decided to call a shot in the top of the house (#1), one that was completely exposed, which we did make with a fair amount of sweeping help.  Of course, that shot was taken out and then I did it again.  The opposing team ended up taking one for that end.  I feel though that with a little bit more thought, this setup could've led to a steal for my team.
 
One reason for playing the rock in the house was that the opposing team's front end had been a little inconsistent with their takeouts so I thought I'd test that out.  I know though that against other teams, hoping for a missed takeout (on a wide open shot) usually doesn't work out for me.  One shot I strongly considered was playing a guard instead of in the house, just in front of where the shot ended up (#2).  That's probably the more sensible play as it forces the other team to either take out a guard or attempt a runback.  Another option would be to place a guard to block the raise (#3).  Then, if they play a rock in the house, I can try to take that out or draw to it. 

I didn't want to draw to the four foot in this situation; I felt it was a little more dangerous.  If the shot's off on line, it might raise their stone.  If it's too heavy, then there's a nice backstop to draw to.  So I thought the open shot was a decent play. 

Anyway, it was a good game.  The opposing team lead by three a couple times, but my team had two four point ends.  (Big sigh of relief after those two ends.)

No comments:

Post a Comment