Saturday, January 8, 2011

Arnold Asham on the Curling Show

I'd like to highlight another episode of Dean Gemmell's Curling Show that I just listened to, which featured Arnold Asham.  For those that don't know, he's the founder of Asham, one of the big curling equipment suppliers.  Now, I'm not always up to date on the new curling technology, but I'm kind of intrigued with two of the new broom features discussed on the show:

The Boomerang Shaped Brush

Kind of a weird idea, right?  Most brooms today have a rectangular brush head (like mine) or an oval shape (like my teammates').  The boomerang kinda makes sense though; the diagonal parts should make it easier to brush debris and frost to the sides.
 
The Grooved Brush Head

Such a simple idea.  When you're sweeping, frost accumulates more on the edges of your brush head.  Why not make a brush head with more edges?  And it doesn't really cost all that much more for the grooves compared to the flat ($2 more). 

So I just added a boomerang broom with the grooves to my wishlist.  It costs $166, $100 more than my first broom, but I think I'm ready for something new when next season comes around.

1 comment: