Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Curling Gear - Shot Shoes

My team has a bye this week, so here's another post on curling gear, specifically shoes.  Since the fall of 2008, I have used the Shot shoes from Goldline.  These shoes were picked because they were among the cheapest ($95 plus shipping).  I hadn't really been curling that long yet at the time, but had been told by several curlers that buying shoes is a really good purchase.


I could not agree more.  I remember at the start of that season, Vice and I were practicing and it was my first time wearing my new curling shoes.  After a few slides, I said to him, "I feel like I can make any shot in these shoes."  Now, as described in a few of these posts, I certainly am not a great player, but I could definitely feel the difference in my slide between wearing shoes and using a slider.  And while this is hard to directly attribute to the shoes, by the end of that season, we had a seven game win streak and almost won the second half season for the league.  (Let me just say that there was a LOT of luck involved in that win streak.)

One thing that my shoes don't have is a toe dip on my right shoe (FYI, I'm right handed).  I can see how having the toe dip would reduce the resistance there a little bit.  Additionally, for the Shot shoe, the teflon thickness is only 1/16".  I can't speak to this from experience, but they say you should be able to get more weight in shots with thicker teflon.  So I'm guessing that my next set of shoes will be thicker, but I'm a little worried that, combined with a toe dip, it'll be even harder to dial back my weight when I need to.  But there's probably always adjustments for new shoes.

Recently, Shot Rock Curling Supplies set up shop at the club and I was looking at the Balance Plus shoes, all of which have a dimple in the center of the teflon part of the shoe.  It was explained to me that this forces you to have your foot flat and therefore better balanced.  For me at least, with my tuck slide, I'm not sure that I'll get the full benefit as my slide has me on my toes. 

I didn't try them on, so I guess I don't really know.  It'd be nice if someone (me?) were able to try on a bunch of shoes and write up a comprehensive comparison.  But until then, I can tell you that I like my Shot shoes and I would recommend to pretty much all curlers that they get some curling shoes.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you on the shoes. Everyone I know who goes from the slider to shoes notices a huge difference. It's been interesting to see the reactions of the players since the Olympics who finally switched to curling shoes.

    I wouldn't worry about being too fast with a thicker slider and toe dip. Based one what I've been told and implemented this past year, you'll want to avoid adjusting your weight mid slide.

    The more you can dial in your weight with your initial push off from the hack, the better. A thicker slider actually helps with that, because there is more nuance in your delivery weight. You won't have to push out as hard every time.

    Plus, you can always just duct tape your toe to get a bit of a feel for it as well before you totally commit to a toe dip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I could use duct tape, and I've seen others use it on their drag foot. But I figure that in the future, I'll get newer and better shoes and then I'll spring for the toe dip then. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete