Sunday, October 31, 2010

WaterSpiel

I got my issue of the Curling News recently and saw an ad for something called the WaterSpiel, which would be the first bonspiel held on a cruise ship.  Seems kind of weird though.  There are going to be three sheets and they're only going to be 50 feet long, which is only a third of the normal 150 feet.  (Sadly, I just had to look that up.)  The sheets will also only be 10 feet wide. 

And basically, you're going to be curling while on the ship and then you might even have to play while the ship is in port too.  Imagine if the ship tips a little and all the rocks move.  With the short sheet, I feel like it'd be so easy to put way too much weight on a shot.  And to hog a shot probably would require the ship tipping towards you or something.  I might even fault a shot because the hogline's going to be closer than normal.

But still, it'd be kind of fun.  And really it's not that different from playing shuffleboard on a cruise ship.  I hope it works out for them and they continue to hold the event.  I can't make it, but maybe someday when I can work it into the budget.  Let me know though what you think at stpaulcurlers@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment