Friday, February 3, 2012

Hogline Razor Broom Review

As I've written about here, my broom is five years old, so it was pretty cool to be contacted to try out a new broom.  (I think this is a sign that people are actually reading this blog.)  But Ole from Hogline asked if I wanted to try out their Razor broom.

It was so surprising to hold a carbon fiber broom.  It's so much lighter compared to my broom.  We also compared to Lead's broom (a composite) and we could tell the difference in weight too. 

I remember Drew at the Fireball Bonspiel saying that once you've used a carbon fiber broom, you won't go back.  At first, I couldn't really feel a difference during sweeping, but that's because I'm a skip for my league games.  However, I played third at the Fireball and sometimes I switched back to my old broom and that's when I could really tell. 

In terms of comparisons to other brooms out there,  the shape of the broom head is just like most of the other brooms out there.  The price is comparable too.  The major differentiation is that the brooms are made in America (and by an SPCC member) so that's kind of cool. 

One drawback is they don't do 1" brooms, but I've only met a few people that use 1" brooms.  This might just be me, but I found it more difficult to slide with such a light broom.  I was speaking to an opposing skip who has a Razor and he said it took him a little bit of time to get used to sliding with it, but loves the broom.  So I don't think that should deter anyone from buying the Razor (or any carbon fiber broom for that matter.)

But anyway, after trying it out for a few weeks and then using it during the Fireball Bonspiel, I can definitely say I like the broom and I added it to my Amazon Wishlist.

6 comments:

  1. Great review. I heard a rumor that Hogline has two new broom models coming out and both are available with a 1" handle option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know. I'm starting to notice some Razors at the club now so hopefully, their business will grow some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went from a fiberglass broom to a Goldline composite which is mostly carbon fiber and it did make a difference with sweeping. Going to carbon fiber or composite is more worthwhile if you're a lead or second, if you're primarily a skip it may not be worth the extra bucks as sweeping is not critical in that role.

    Not sure anyone looking for a new broom considers if it's good sliding down from the hack with as many (myself included) use a stabilizer and some of the long-time curlers use their older brooms for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think it would be kind of cumbersome to have to carry another broom just for sliding so ideally, I'd like to use the same broom, but it's weird how I'm just used to sliding with the broom I have. I've never actually tried a stabilizer and having done mixed doubles before, it's better for me to slide with a broom (and have the ability to sweep your own stone).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My club has a mixed doubles league last fall with 4 teams and only 1 of the 8 slide with a broom. Haven't seen a game but I've been told that they are allowed to pick up their broom off a side bench after throwing to sweep their own rock. The league winners both use stabilizers (one formerly used a broom).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. When I did mixed doubles, I don't think anyone used a stabilizer. Not sure what the rules are exactly for having a broom off to the side, but I don't remember anyone using a stabilizer at World Mixed Doubles when it was in St. Paul last year.

      Delete