Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vice and I Do Curling Commentary

When I met up with the Bond Girls, I told them that I was thinking about tweeting during their upcoming Curling Club Nationals match (really just for kicks).  Their response was, "You should do commentary on our video."  As it happens, I had recently watched a curling match streamed from Rochester during their 5 and under bonspiel.  I would describe that production as a couple guys with a camera who are also able to tap into their club's house cameras and then they're just kind of rambling.  (I also loved the fact that they placed a small picture of MC Hammer next to the team that had hammer.)  I thought at the time that that would be fun to do with any of my teammates.

And the setup the Bond Girls had wasn't too different from that.  They had a camera set up on a tripod connected to a Mac Laptop.  No connection to the house cameras, oh well.  Vice and I thought it would be cool if we had real headsets so that we'd look like real sportscasters, but talking into the laptop's built in microphone worked too. 

But really, it was a lot of fun.  If you're ever asked to do something like this, I would urge you to give it a shot.  What made it nice was that there were all sorts of people around us contributing in the background and people in the chat window giving us feedback and asking questions.  And being able to interact with everyone was pretty cool. 

I know that American fans of curling sometimes lament the fact that televised curling is so rare, but we might just have to end up doing this ourselves.  So hopefully, more teams will set up streaming for their games.  Also, I guess I just want to ask all of you to support videocasts like the one for the Bond Girls, even if the commentary is just two guys hanging out at a curling club next to a computer and a video camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment