Thursday, January 19, 2012

Random Thoughts on Handicaps and Rules

After this past game, my team was discussing whether the handicap system was fair.  After a few games early in the season, all of the teams in the league are sorted into groups A-D.  If an A level team plays a C level team, the C team gets 2 points; if a C level team plays a D, the D gets 1 point; etc.  (If an A level team plays a D level team, the A team automatically gets hammer.) 

This past game happened to be played at 6PM, in between the 4PM and 8PM leagues.  Also, the 4PM game on our sheet went long and we didn't start our game until almost 6:15.  Does that give the handicap team an advantage because there are fewer ends for the other team to catch up? 
If a good team is up three and is able to make takeouts, the game might be (essentially) over after a few ends.  There are only a couple of teams in my league that I would put in that category.  I consider myself pretty good and I'll miss easy takeouts just by being a little wide or I didn't read the ice correctly.

So anyway, I don't have an answer.  I've been beaten by D teams and and I've won games against D teams that weren't even close.  I've skipped a D level team one season and I was very appreciative of the handicap then. 

I think if the league had teams that were a little closer in experience/skill, I would propose something along the lines of A vs. B = B gets 1 point/A gets hammer, A vs. C = B gets 1 point and hammer, A vs. D = D gets 2 points/A gets hammer.  But it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.  Anyway, I'll stop rambling about this.

*******************************************************************************

On another subject, during this past season, we've noticed several teams with some minor infractions.  Things like skips "warming up the ice" (don't do it) or not knowing what to do with rocks touching the back line (they're still in play) or measuring a rock with your broom before the end is over (don't do it).  I'd just like to implore you, especially if you're a skip or third to read through the rules of the game.  There are several books for this, including Curl to Win and Curling For Dummies.  It's less than 20 pages in  both of these books.  Or if you don't know the rules, don't be afraid to ask.

Hopefully that wasn't too much of a rant.  Just needed to get that out.

2 comments:

  1. I play in the Wednesday night 9:00 league. There are a handful of us, maybe a 3rd of the league or so, who have a sort of gentleman's agreement never to take handicap points no matter what. If you're a new team to the league, or to curling, then fine, but otherwise if you're in the top half of your league you should be playing other teams straight up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that a lot of you can agree to that. I like the idea of new teams taking handicap points, maybe for, say, 3 years or something like that. I think it'd also be interesting where (after 4-6 games), every week, only the team with the worst record gets a handicap. I'd just want to make sure that the league is always fun, even if you're not as competitive as some of the other teams.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete