Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Looking for a Bonspiel

As I've said earlier, I aged out of the Novice 5 and Under Bonspiel this past season so I'm on the lookout for a new bonspiel that I can convince my teammates to do.  Let's look at a couple that I found.

Sin Sity Spiel - This one is about 6 weeks from now and if you can't guess from the name, it takes place in Las Vegas.  This one might be a good fit for my team as both Vice and Second are engaged (not to each other, not that there's anything wrong with that.)  What could be better for a bachelor weekend?  Curling, gambling, even Olympian Chris Plys will be there.  It's kind of expensive though at $400 per team.  The schedule is kind of insane too since the curling will be nonstop for all 48 hours of the bonspiel.  (There may also be some fun conversations wtih significant others when we say, "Honey, why don't you take care of the baby all weekend?  I'll be hanging out in Vegas.  Have fun!")

Beers of the World Bonspiel - This bonspiel features beer tasting along with all of the normal bonspiel type stuff.  When I told my wife about this, she said, "Don't you already get enough beer at a regular bonspiel?"  That's true, but regardless, it sounds kind of fun though.  On a related note, Lead thinks there should be something like a "Vice-Spiel" where basically all kinds of vices are celebrated.  So during this hypothetical bonspiel, there'd be cigar smoking, gambling, all sorts of drinking, etc.  Obviously, some (all?) of this stuff happens anyway, but more as a side to the bonspiel.  Anyway, the Beers of the World Bonspiel will be taking place in Columbus, OH on December 2.  Kind of a drive for us. 

Triathlon - I haven't seen anything on this yet for this year, but I've been told that it's really fun.  The triathlon in this case is composed of curling, bowling, and darts.  This takes place in Fargo, ND and the obvious joke is, "What else is there to do there?"  It'd be nice if the three sports are within walking distance of each other (I have no idea if they are).  I'm guessing it'd be dangerous otherwise or they'd need shuttles or something.

Anyone else know of any interesting bonspiels?

4 comments:

  1. I had my eye on that Beers of the World spiel also, but the Holiday Spiel in Seattle is much easier and cheaper to get to.

    The Fireball 500! That should be pretty close for you, no? Been trying to get to that one.

    I'm also eying the Holiday Spiel in Calgary the week before xmas and NYE. They've got two divisions, casual and high level, so you can watch some really good teams, and not necessarily play them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fireball 500 is definitely being considered. My brother will be in town, but I don't think I can get my teammates to do it because of Thanksgiving. So if anyone's interested in joining my Fireball 500 team, let me know.

    What's unique about the Holiday Spiel in Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they have an ugly sweater contest. My Vice has won it the last two years in a row. It's basically a good party spiel, as opposed to their more competitive spiels. (Though the competition is still really good). Plus, Seattle is a nice town, so if you're going to travel, it's a swell place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The McGillicuddy Open at the Owatonna Curling Club. I started that Bonspiel before the Fireball 500. I hear it's still a lot of fun - the Dr. makes housecalls

    ReplyDelete