Saturday, July 2, 2011

Brier Ball and a Related Curling Patent

Recently, I found this patent, which describes a game combining golf and curling and I think it looks really fun.  Pretty simple concept.  Instead of curling rocks, you use golf balls and you putt them into the house.  This patent details a particular shape which includes other inclines (possibly to differentiate from prior art already being sold). 

Surprisingly, the only golf/curling game I can find online is Brier Ball.  I like the Brier Ball setup better than the one described in the above patent because it has a house on both ends, just like in regular curling, which I think would be more convenient.  However, this thing costs $995.  How many people have actually bought one of these things at that price?

How come no one has anything like this, but a lot cheaper?  I think a game like this would be really cool to have at a summertime bonspiel where you'd set it up outside the curling club and have golf/curling games go on while other teams are playing.  Or maybe I could just set one up on my lawn during a party.

I doubt you could patent the cheap version (due to the existing prior art, unless you got really specific in the patent.)  However, no cheap golf/curling game exists currently (or isn't marketed at all) and I feel like someone could make a decent side business out of this.

2 comments:

  1. I think the percentage of curlers who are avid golfers have dropped dramatically in recent years, at least in my curling club. Most who joined in recent years, especially the younger ones, aren't golfers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right. Judging from people who tweet about curling, you're one of the few that will also tweet about golf. I think everyone enjoys mini golf though and I'd at least want to try this out.

    ReplyDelete